Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Testing is not Teaching Reflection

page 45
"One of the major problems we have in the teaching of reading is the aliterate reader, a reader who can read but doesn't. Until students read on their own, books have not become a part of their lives and the function of reading has not been understood."
     Graves gives some good ideas for the teacher to try. I want to know how to motivate today's kids outside of school. To choose reading over video games, iPads etc. Some of my kindergarteners tell me they don't read. I expect to fight with my thirteen year old son, but it is sad that 5 year olds already are choosing not to read.

page 68
"Everything we do when we write is an act of convention so that both you and the next person can understand what you mean."
    My student had trouble reading back his writing the other day mainly because he didn't use spaces between words. I thought of this quote and told him that finger spaces aren't just for teachers, they are for him too. He was genuinely surprised by that. He even reminded another student about that when she forgot her spaces!!

1 comment:

  1. I underlined that quote about "aliterate" readers too...... disturbing. Our students have many ways to connect with text, but favorite quotes on Tumblr are no substitute for a full length novel! I like the way Graves uses the phrase "long thinking." It makes me wonder whether there is something inherently brain-stretching about the length of a novel.

    And I was so sad to hear your kindergarteners' comments about books (does that mean their parents don't read to them or they don't know how to read?) My daughter just finished kindergarten and couldn't "read" a book until the Spring.....but she loves to live in the world of books. I feel like her age group through age 12/13 is the most vibrant market for books in the current publishing world.....but once students get to my high school classroom, they often haven't enjoyed a book for pleasure for over a year.

    ReplyDelete