Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What Happened to Time for Teaching?

"The length of the school day is the same today as it was when I first began teaching, in 1956, the year I got out of the military."
This quote is amazingly true and explains why each day is so fast paced and hectic.  There are so many interruptions and things to accomplish.  I agree with Graves that the teaching life is constantly changing.  There is always something new to learn and do. As the author suggests, it is very hard to be in the now when you are always thinking about what needs to be done and what hasn't been completed, yet.  This past school year, I tried very hard to make sure the children had time for quality learning by changing my schedule to give the children more time for writing.  This year, we wrote every day.  I saw such an improvement in the quality of writing and the confidence and enthusiasm of the students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment